During last weekend I was playing with a temporary setup of an old Cushcraft 13B2 145MHz yagi that I had lying around. The aim was to try and decode some EME traffic with a simple station setup, but the old 13B2 did not yield any result. Then I decided to build a more efficient antenna by myself.
After considering many design options I decided to build a 12-El.-Yagi EF2012B modified for 50 Ohm-V and optimized by DK7ZB. Here is a preliminary progress report:
Antenna ready for the first VNA test on a stub, abt. 1 meter above ground.
VNA results on a stub, abt. 1 meter above ground looks very promising.
Antenna mounted in my temporary setup, ready for new VNA test.
VNA results not so good. I suspect that the elevation rotor is to close to the boom. I have to make a new rotor arm to get the rotor out of the way. …………….to be continued
Been working on the matching problem all evening and it has nothing to do with the proximity to the rotor. It’s all about fine tuning this part, the radiator. Trimming the V-dipole length and bending angle did the trick.
Now it looks very close to the EZNEC simulation. I think there may be potential for better return-loss by some more fine tuning, but it is not going to happen tonight!
From the rear.
It is not easy to find room for all this airborne metal in a small back yard. 🙂